Monday, February 15, 2010

RSS feeds - explore further

Am playing around with RSS feeds, to see what I can do with them.
I quite like the way that tags display on the right-hand margin:


I have created folders for my RSS feeds by subject, which makes sense (Creative, Library work, News). 

I have marked an item with a "star" as a favorite.

But I am not sure that I want to "share" or "publish" my collection of RSS feeds. This whole self-promoting, slightly exhibitionist side of Web 2.0 / social networking sits uncomfortable with me. This probably outs me as an "analogue native".


Coming to think of it - I was 24 when I first used a personal computer. It was in Library School in Jerusalem in 1987. A whole classroom full of IBM PCs, screens displaying green text on a black background, and big floppy disks in paper envelopes. I took to emailing like a fish to water, used to exchange emails almost daily with a cousin who was working at the University in Oxford at the time. Only university people were using email in those days.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment